Sunday, June 26, 2011

I'm back!

It's been ages since I posted last, life kind of threw me a few curve balls but I'm back and baking!

Since I last posted both my sons have been diagnosed with allergies as well, and theirs make mine seem like a walk in the park! My youngest had been vomiting nearly every night and the oldest had been having severe stomach pain regularly and nothing the doctors did was helping so I took them off to be tested and yes indeed, that was the problem. Unfortunately, doctors just don't seem to think of food allergies, they were quite surprised when I went back and told them how much all our symptoms had gone since getting rid of the food we were diagnosed as being allergic to.

Our combined allergies now include; wheat, dairy, soy, eggs, yeast, nuts, rye, rice, beans, and citrus. Of course, we've all managed to have slightly different cobinations too! It certainly makes cooking interesting.

Since removing the offending foods though we're all so much better. My arthritis (which I've had since I was 14)  has virtually disappeared, Nik is no longer vomiting nightly and Sascha has lost over 8kgs and is waking up without being in agony. If we have something with an allergen the results are definate and not pleasant. Unfortunately so many things can be hidden. Going out for dinenr is a real minefield because so many places just don't know or understand allergies enough to care. It's certainly difficult but it's making cooking an adventure and quite fun as I experiment and find things we can eat and actually enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment